Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Opening Day

If you can imagine how PUMPED I was for today's Opening Day of school, then you can imagine just how POOPED I am after day one.  Maybe it's a combination of adrenaline, anxiety, and the fact that I didn't do much from the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. CDT on most summer days, but I am ZONKED.

Regardless, it was a fantastic day that I tried to make all about getting to know my students.  I am heading out to Lake Cumberland this afternoon, so I am going to make this post fairly brief:

#1) Most parents/guardians already know this by middle school, but the beginning of school means a guarantee on several things: 1) whining/complaining by teenagers; 2) high-fiving and chest-bumps among parents (unless your student is a Kindergartner like my oldest; if so, have a Kleenex); and 3) PAPERWORK for the PARENTS!

My son, Connor, heading to Salem for his first day of Kindergarten.  Time: SLOW DOWN!
This year is no different. Your student is bringing home a plethora of papers this afternoon, most of which are courtesy of the RCMS office staff.  Two of them, however, are for me.  

The first is a PARENT LETTER that explains a bit about myself and the course.  There is a place for a parent's name, signature, and email address on the back.



The second is a PARENT ESSAY.  Yes, it may be a bit lengthy, but to me, this one is the most important.  This isn't expected to be back tomorrow, so take your time and tell me everything I need to know about your student. 


#2) The students filled out a little STUDENT DATABASE SHEET that included some key information regarding their access to technology.  Please note: if a student doesn't have access to the Internet/smartphones, that will not put them behind in the least bit.  I have several iPad minis to use in my room; I just want to ensure that I have enough to go around.



#3) Who doesn't love Play-Doh?  I had each student an individual container sitting on their desk when they came in, pumped a couple of jams, and asked each student to sculpt an object they felt best represented who they were.  At the end, each student presented and they did a fabulous job.  In the process, I got to know a little more about each student.  




4.) At the end of class, I had each student construct a list of interview questions that they wanted to know about me and the class.  Tomorrow, I will begin class by answering these questions.  This is both a statement of fact and a prayer request.  

Overall, today was great and I look forward to the best school year in all of recorded history!

~Mr. D

No comments: