Friday, May 27, 2016

Summer Traditions

Phineas and Ferb lied: there are not 104 days of summer vacation, especially summers in Russell County after surviving a Snowpacolypse.  Due to a large amount of snow days in the Spring semester of last school year and a fairly early start date for this upcoming school year, we will seemingly have about 104 minutes of summer vacation.

Alas, despite the seeming brevity of our break, there are some things that I find myself doing each and every summer.  Since I love lists, I have compiled one for you below:
  1. Watching Back to the Future and every conceivable "extra" on the DVD box set my wife gave to me on our wedding day because why wouldn't I?
  2. Watching copious amounts of Boy Meets World  - deep down, I really want to be Mr. Feeny.  Just younger.
  3. Spending at least one day watching absurd amounts of old game shows on the Game Show Network - it reminds me of spending summer days at my MawMaw's house.  
  4. Going to both minor and major league baseball games.
  5. Listening to Kentucky Sports Radio every day, even though there really isn't a lot going on  in the world of Kentucky sports during the summer.
  6. Travelling - at least one new place in our great state of Kentucky, one new place in the U.S., and, hopefully when our children are a bit older, one new place in the world.
  7. Thinking of at least one thing to add to my classroom each year.
  8. Reading - I try to get in one book per week during the summer.  
  9. Drinking Arnold Palmers - half sweet tea, half lemonade.  Duh.  
  10. Playing golf - not that I am any good; I just love walking around nature while hitting things.  
What about you guys?  What are some of your summer traditions?

~Mr. D

No comments: